Official Anticipation Thread: "LOVE UNITES"

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
submethod
Giant

Official Anticipation Thread: "LOVE UNITES"

Post by submethod »

Gang,

A while back my good friend Aaron Harvey ( who is a a great designer by the way) designed a poster for the No. on 8 campaign. Well, he was contacted by the powers that be that none other than Shepard Fairey would be reproducing his design for the No on 8 movement. I think there is rally in Los Angeles this weekend and these pieces will be available....i think!

I just caught word that the print came out. Here is the link to the print:

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/11/exclusive-shepa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the OG piece:

and here is the original by Aaron:

theNORD
Punk

Post by theNORD »

thanks for sharing... practice love, not h8.
01/20/09
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

these are awesome!!!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

illyanadmc wrote:these are awesome!!!
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
The Boy Wunder
Swindler

Re:

Post by The Boy Wunder »

+2
noetic
Giant

Re:

Post by noetic »

I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
kladdict
Posse

Post by kladdict »

Great. Very glad to hear Shep speak out about this. It's too bad Barack didn't do the same. Any word on if theres any place to get one online?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I love that the colors are a little different than we're use to seeing!

Very nice!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re:

Post by Gigantico »

kladdict wrote:Great. Very glad to hear Shep speak out about this. It's too bad Barack didn't do the same.
From what Obama and Biden said, they are both against marriage rights for same-sex couples.
slidingaround
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by slidingaround »

The Boy Wunder wrote:
+2
+3
kladdict
Posse

Post by kladdict »

Gigantico wrote:
kladdict wrote:Great. Very glad to hear Shep speak out about this. It's too bad Barack didn't do the same.
From what Obama and Biden said, they are both against marriage rights for same-sex couples.
But Obama also said he would never support a constitutional amendment banning it. Kind of political double speak but I like to think that he truly believed that when he said it.
add 'em
Swindler

Post by add 'em »

slidingaround wrote:
The Boy Wunder wrote:
+2
+3
plus four..
add 'em subtract 'em
toobs
Giant

Post by toobs »

nice image im down
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Here is an email i just got from Aaron.

I am so happy for him!

"Sorry for the spam, but I wanted to share some exciting news! Some (ok probably ALL) of you know I did some design work to get the word out for the "No on Prop 8" campaign. And as you all probably know the measure, surprisingly to a lot of Californians, passed revoking the right to to marry for gays and lesbians in California. Since then rallys have sprung up all over California and the United States.

The group organizing the rallys this weekend contacted Shepard Fairey, the creator of the iconic Obama Poster, and asked if he could create an original piece. He said he already had seen something out there and said to the effect "its amazing as is, here's my take on it". So, his inspiration was my poster!

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/11/exclusive-shepa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This is where it was first released and I hope to have a more formal press release in the next few days and some pictures from the rally on Saturday.
You can see the original poster at http://www.defendequalitynow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the support and more importantly supporting equal rights for all Californians! - Aaron""

When I speak to him today, I will ask if the OG posters will be available.
scphun
Punk

Post by scphun »

Can I get a fvk yeah!
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Here is an email i just got from Aaron.

I am so happy for him!

"Sorry for the spam, but I wanted to share some exciting news! Some (ok probably ALL) of you know I did some design work to get the word out for the "No on Prop 8" campaign. And as you all probably know the measure, surprisingly to a lot of Californians, passed revoking the right to to marry for gays and lesbians in California. Since then rallys have sprung up all over California and the United States.

The group organizing the rallys this weekend contacted Shepard Fairey, the creator of the iconic Obama Poster, and asked if he could create an original piece. He said he already had seen something out there and said to the effect "its amazing as is, here's my take on it". So, his inspiration was my poster!

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/11/exclusive-shepa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This is where it was first released and I hope to have a more formal press release in the next few days and some pictures from the rally on Saturday.
You can see the original poster at http://www.defendequalitynow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the support and more importantly supporting equal rights for all Californians! - Aaron""

When I speak to him today, I will ask if the OG posters will be available.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

kladdict wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
But Obama also said he would never support a constitutional amendment banning it. Kind of political double speak but I like to think that he truly believed that when he said it.

Just glad Obama's not from California, with this whole sh!tstorm.

Great print.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

circa77 can I have your print?

;-)
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
ApfelGeld
Punk

Post by ApfelGeld »

add 'em wrote:
slidingaround wrote:
The Boy Wunder wrote:
+2
+3
plus four..
+5
blazedoutbee wrote:Welcome to the bloodsport of poster collecting.
recycler wrote:
cadeallaw wrote:I swear, this durn little hobby is going to break me.
We may go broke, but at least our shacks will have an aesthetic touch.
artoholic wrote:Is it possible that Mr. Brainwash is Banksy? :shock:
circa77
Giant

Re:

Post by circa77 »

theNORD wrote:thanks for sharing... practice love, not h8.

I hate to break it to you dude, but the No on 8 supporters are displaying quite a bit of hatred themselves. I'm sorry, but they are asking for "tolerance" yet they are not willing to practice what they preach. Beating up people in the streets, sending hate mail and threats to supporters and contributors of 8, and causing churches to close due to substances being dropped off that FBI, LAPD and Dept. of Homeland Security are investigating.

Love Unites :roll: YEAH RIGHT! Who is discriminating now :?: There is more of a division now then there was before because of the harassment from prop 8 opponents. Go ahead and protest the democratic process, that's real smart. Even the Governor who is backs No on 8 has gone on record saying "We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote".

Californians have voted on this twice, and we've had the same outcome both times.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
synecdoche
Posse

Post by synecdoche »

circa77 wrote:

I hate to break it to you dude, but the No on 8 supporters are displaying quite a bit of hatred themselves. I'm sorry, but they are asking for "tolerance" yet they are not willing to practice what they preach. Beating up people in the streets, sending hate mail and threats to supporters and contributors of 8, and causing churches to close due to substances being dropped off that FBI, LAPD and Dept. of Homeland Security are investigating.

Love Unites :roll: YEAH RIGHT! Who is discriminating now :?: There is more of a division now then there was before because of the harassment from prop 8 opponents. Go ahead and protest the democratic process, that's real smart. Even the Governor who is backs No on 8 has gone on record saying "We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote".

Californians have voted on this twice, and we've had the same outcome both times.
seriously? You're going to attack the inappropriate actions of some supporters and use that a reason to not argue the premise and logic behind many supporters' beliefs. Too me, that's ignorant. Separate the actions from the logic. It's not the same.
theNORD
Punk

Post by theNORD »

ApfelGeld wrote:
add 'em wrote:
slidingaround wrote:
The Boy Wunder wrote:
+2
+3
plus four..
+5
+i win.
01/20/09
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

synecdoche wrote:
circa77 wrote:

seriously? You're going to attack the inappropriate actions of some supporters and use that a reason to not argue the premise and logic behind many supporters' beliefs. Too me, that's ignorant. Separate the actions from the logic. It's not the same.

You want logic? Ok, how about a logical vote wherein the general population of a given state votes on a measure and the majority wins?
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
BrokeFromArt
Swindler

Re: "No on 8" OG Print

Post by BrokeFromArt »

I think it is interesting Shep took the emphasis off of the wedding ring in the origial version. Sheps version also has no mention of any specific prop and is more over reaching.
messboogs
Propaganda Engineer

Post by messboogs »

surprised no mention of the hands yet...