I am thinking of making my own flat file!

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

I am thinking of making my own flat file!

Post by Patillac13 »

All right, the time has come... I am thinking of making my own flat file! But... I was thinking of using plywood, and having a acid-free foam core bottoms to the two drawers, like Admonkey brought up in another thread, do you think there would be any long term negative effects on the paper caused by storing them inside of plywood drawers? Or as long as the only thing the prints will be touching is the acid-free foam core, should I be OK? What would be the best treatment for the wood, some type of wood sealant? I won't have any problems actually planning everything out and building it, but I never know how to finish stuff like this off.

Also, I will build it to fit under my bed, so it'll be a shallow bugger, but that's the only place I can fit it right now. Another possible issue is that my apartment is located right above the unheated garages under the apartment building, so in the winter the floor is a little cooler than usual, will storing prints in a cooler temp for a few months out of the year harm anything (it'll slowly fluctuate with the seasons)? I am planning on having the whole flat file be about an inch off the carpet so the cool floor doesn't have direct contact with the whole underside of the flat file, so that might help keep it closer to room temp.

Thanks for any help with this! :D (any advice or precautions would be greatly appreciated, if you see something that you think I shouldn't do, please let me know, either in this thread or by PM) I had to resort to a DIY/under bed flat file because I definitely don't have anywhere I could fit a full size flat file.
Last edited by Patillac13 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

good luck!
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

zanzi123 wrote:good luck!
Thanks, man! :D

For the record, I am thinking of making the inside dimensions of the drawers about 40x30... and there will hopefully be 2 drawers (each only 1.5 inches deep). Top drawer will be for the Itoya and smaller stuff, and the bottom drawer will be for laying out Obama Vote and a few 24x36-ish prints, and a couple other large posters.

I was just thinking that if I don't make this flat file, almost all of the larger prints will stay stored in tubes until I can put them up (which may be a very long time)... I am thinking that this idea will be better off in the long run (with conservation/print safety in mind), than just leaving the prints wrapped in kraft paper in tubes, right?!

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

Sweet idea, and good luck. There is archival grade paint that you can use over the plywood. Also not a bad idea to pick up some 4mil mylar sleeves. I'd like to see how this turns out!
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

analogtrash wrote:Sweet idea, and good luck. There is archival grade paint that you can use over the plywood. Also not a bad idea to pick up some 4mil mylar sleeves. I'd like to see how this turns out!
Thanks! I plan on checking out all the options for sealing or painting it later on... first things first... I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to build it (I have a bunch of different options for the drawers functionality).

:D

I do plan on having most of the stuff in archival sleeves inside there, but I'd like to at least get them laying flat out of their tubes for now. Hopefully I'll slowly be able to get everything nice and safe.

Thanks for the comments!

Phởgg
Giant

Re: I am thinking of making my own flat file!

Post by Phởgg »

might buy a flat file here off a friend

its inside drawer dimensions are 41.5 x 25.75 x 1.5

trying to decide if i'd miss that extra 4.25"

good luck with your project
http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... ADCAST.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

From wikipedia:

The adhesives used in plywood has become a point of concern, due to the off gassing of the formaldehyde. Both urea formaldehyde and phenol formaldehyde are carcinogenic, so their use undesirable. Many manufacturers are turning to "Greener Products" as government regulations become stronger against the use of these adhesives.

From another source:
Wooden exhibition cases and storage cabinets emit acids and formaldehyde which corrode the very objects they are designed to display or store
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

it might be hard to find, but you could use a formaldehyde-free mdf like in this link.

http://www.sierrapine.com/index.php?pid=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
poophat
Punk

Post by poophat »

you might ask yamar on expressobeans.com. I'm pretty sure that he makes his own flatfiles and would probably share his process with you.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

poophat wrote:you might ask yamar on expressobeans.com. I'm pretty sure that he makes his own flatfiles and would probably share his process with you.
Very nice! Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about getting this project rolling again.

I just got a few more of the 24x36 and 25x30 inch offsets off the Obey site, so I really should build all of my large prints a home for the uncertain amount of time until they go up on walls :D I'd even be happy with a big shallow box... I just don't want to make anything that'll actually be worse on the prints than having them stored rolled in their tubes.

Thanks again for the info!

rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

Pat> will you document the process for us?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

rhombus_77 wrote:Pat> will you document the process for us?
If I ever get around to it, I will definitely try to document the process and make up plans (or at least keep all the measurements) and stuff. I'll probably make it a bit over sized on purpose (I think my largest print is something like 25ish by 39ish so I'd like it to be a few inches larger than that I guess...). And I'll have to work on it out in my garage... so it might be a while until I get started... (-17°F!) Maybe I'll see if my brother can help out (he's got much better tools, and a huge garage :D )

Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

It would be fun to make one but would it be worth it after cost+time+effort? Seems like heavy-duty metal files are pretty available (and less expensive) if you keep on the hunt.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

I've been researching this too because like the look of wood files better than metal but conservation experts warn against it.

"Wooden map cabinets should be replaced as soon as possible, because wood releases damaging materials and attracts insects."

http://www.library.cornell.edu/preserva ... using.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"wood gives off harmful gases"
http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets ... ifacts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

Gigantico wrote:It would be fun to make one but would it be worth it after cost+time+effort? Seems like heavy-duty metal files are pretty available (and less expensive) if you keep on the hunt.
I was thinking of using pretty poor grade woods (not the primo stuff, it won't have to be stained or pretty at all, just a place to store stuff flat), and just building a basic two drawer file... then completely covering all the wood with polyurethane/sealer. Then laying some acid-free foam core cut to fit on the bottom of the drawers for an added barrier. The problem with me watching sales and buying a metal file is that it has to fit under my bed. I wouldn't have anywhere else to put it other than there.
cybernigel wrote:I've been researching this too because like the look of wood files better than metal but conservation experts warn against it.
Yep, that's a key point why I put this project on the back burner. I don't want to make something that is just as bad for the prints as the tubes they're currently in (it could be even worse, I guess).

I've seen Obey's larger print storage in a video clip... and it's a full wall of print shelves made out of plywood, right?! Hmmm... I always get pumped up to make this flat file, then end up deciding to hold off on it.

extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

lots of cemicals and adhesives in plywood...cant be good....and id guess that wood retains water/moisture too...
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

extremeimages77 wrote:lots of cemicals and adhesives in plywood...cant be good....and id guess that wood retains water/moisture too...
Yeah, true... even if sealed, do you still think it's bad news?

I need to go back to 8th grade shop class and bust a flat file out with sheet metal and pop rivels :lol:

extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

Patillac13 wrote:
extremeimages77 wrote:lots of cemicals and adhesives in plywood...cant be good....and id guess that wood retains water/moisture too...
Yeah, true... even if sealed, do you still think it's bad news?

I need to go back to 8th grade shop class and bust a flat file out with sheet metal and pop rivels :lol:
sealed with more cemicals..haha
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

I kept a few prints under some glass in an outter building which was heated now and then..
A few months and they all wrippled :(
They where only cheap so no loss! but with ur expensive collection i'd be weary!
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

I kept a few prints under some glass in an outter building which was heated now and then..
A few months and they all wrippled :(
They where only cheap so no loss! but with ur expensive collection i'd be weary!
pworth
Punk

Post by pworth »

Why not spend the money framing them so you can hang them up and enjoy?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

pworth wrote:Why not spend the money framing them so you can hang them up and enjoy?
That'd be ideal, but I don't have anywhere near the wall space I need to go through with it right now.

I'd like to get more up on the walls, but for now, I have to store it, and I'd like to store it all safely until then.

Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Here's how I am leaning (once again). Ten of these mylar sleeves from Bagsunlimited, and one of their heavy duty cardboard storage boxes... the cardboard might not be the greatest solution, but I'd imagine it'd be better than plywood/MDF as far as releasing chemicals goes.

Ugh, sorry for dragging everyone through my constant state of mind changing... I'm just trying to find the best solution for storing my larger prints in my small space.