Shepard restitution press image.

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
zanzi123
Giant

Shepard restitution press image.

Post by zanzi123 »

THIS IS OUTRAGOUS. Anyone from LA knows the restitution press bandit. Shepard has ripped off both restitution press images, wow, dude seriously?

My buddy is hooked in with the restitution press, he forwarded me this.

I'm sending you this because I am really fed up with people stealing images, and creating watered down versions of them for their t-shirt clothing lines.

Restitution Press has been plastering the streets of LA, SF, NY (and many more places) with these original images below for many many years. Last year I had the honor of contributing artwork to a handmade silk screened book of images by Restitution Press.

and (drum roll please) here are photo's I was just sent, of the blatant rip-off combo of the two images on an Obey tshirt. I am not surprised to see this given the history of this company, just utterly shocked at how close to home this one is. Especially since Shepard Fiarey contacted Ryan Graeff (who heads up RP) directly last year to complement him on his art and get his mailing address so he could send him a signed book!

Seriously. WTF?? Please forward and blog as you see fit.

The pictures speak for themselves.

RP classic image

Another RP classic image

Shepard ripoff (really?!?)

WHat do you guys think? :x
Last edited by zanzi123 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

far from a "blatant rip-off"
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Not even remotely close. Different hat, jacket, angle and wrong hand.
spiff huxtable
Propaganda Engineer

Post by spiff huxtable »

Rip-off? Or tribute? I'm inclined to think the latter right now.

Where is that "rip-off" image taken from? It looks like a portion of a collage.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

those images all suck and although they are derivative... aren't necessarily directly derivative of each other.
avoid disappointment and future regret
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

it's an obey clothing graphic, which shepard doesn't always create....it has similarities, but it's hardly a blatant rip off
zanzi123
Giant

Re:

Post by zanzi123 »

spiff huxtable wrote:Rip-off? Or tribute? I'm inclined to think the latter right now.

Taken from a shirt. Cmon guys, it's practicly the same. The image may not be your favorite but seriously? IMO it sucks he would ripoff such well known guys. I really don't like that. It reminds me of brainwash.
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

maybe you should quit the forum.

bummer
noetic
Giant

Re: SHEPARD RIPPED OFF THE RESTITUTION PRESS BLATANTLY!

Post by noetic »

I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
mention
Propaganda Engineer

Post by mention »

Similar? Yes

Blatant Rip Off? Hardly.

And in the fashion industry, everyone rips off everyone. Ever wonder why 90% of todays youth dresses the same?
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Re:

Post by MrMurk »

submit wrote:maybe you should quit the forum.

bummer
:lol:
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

Ummmm there are countless threads and online articles about how Shepard has "ripped off" someone or something by using a base image to create his art with.....and you choose this one to get upset about!?!

First off its hardly close, and the dude hiding his face behind his jacket with a hat on has been done a million times and a million ways for a million years! LITERALLY!

also isn't that basically a generic skeleton face on the obey image and restitution face, does restitution press claim to have created the skeleton face now? wow, dude seriously?

:/
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
toobs
Giant

Re:

Post by toobs »

spiff huxtable wrote:Rip-off? Or tribute? I'm inclined to think the latter right now.

It's a total big ups to the RP crew, i doubt that he's even making a killing on that shirt anyway, silly kids this isn't TMZ :oops:
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

Gigantico wrote:Different hat, jacket, angle and wrong hand.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Similiar? Yes. A bite? No.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

is that skull face Ed Templeton?
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

It seems clear where OG got the idea to do their design. Are either of the two original images trademarks? I doubt it. The combination of the two ideas is creating something new and unique. Ideas are not protected by copyright for good reason. No ripping off as far as I'm concerned.

Just looks like some imitation to me. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." RP should take it as a compliment if you ask me.
theBrain
Giant

Post by theBrain »

rumspring wrote:IJust looks like some imitation to me. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." RP should take it as a compliment if you ask me.
RP's feelings aren't in question. it's zanzi who has the problem with it.
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

I see where you guys are comming from, I am sorry I was so quick to call shepard out. I have had a crazy day, but I guess it aint no excuse. I guess it won't violate fair use terms. As for me quitting, I guess I will if thats what you guys want...

Well I edited some stuff. I got another email, restitution says "Obey vs Restitution starts now" It is fair use but, this could get ugly....

sorry for causing such a stir but I have liked restitution for a while, this hit a few wrong notes.

IMO they should have done a collab.
henna
-

Re:

Post by henna »

zanzi123 wrote:I see where you guys are comming from, I am sorry I was so quick to call shepard out. I have had a crazy day, but I guess it aint no excuse. I guess it won't violate fair use terms. As for me quitting, I guess I will if thats what you guys want...

Well I edited some stuff. I got another email, restitution says "Obey vs Restitution starts now" It is fair use but, this could get ugly....

sorry for causing such a stir but I have liked restitution for a while, this hit a few wrong notes.

IMO they should have done a collab.
:lol:
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

IMO, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other and fair use does not even come in to play.

I feel the Obey Clothing image is definitely sourced somewhere, it looks amazingly familiar, I just can't place it at the moment. Perhaps after a good night of sleep I'll remember.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

It's probably worthwhile asking where RP got the inspiration for their images. It's amazing how derivative most art can be.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
theBrain
Giant

Re: Shepard restitution press image.

Post by theBrain »

here's the first thing i thought of when i saw this, from 1996:

the character actually dates back to the 30's. as somebody mentioned above, this concept has been done before.

imo, the first image looks like kevin federline :lol: :lol:
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

theBrain wrote:
rumspring wrote:IJust looks like some imitation to me. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." RP should take it as a compliment if you ask me.
No it isnt. That was rp's email.
theBrain
Giant

Post by theBrain »

zanzi123 wrote:
theBrain wrote:
No it isnt. That was rp's email.
my apologies.