My letter/email to Fairey re: patterns

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
cvansice
Swindler

My letter/email to Fairey re: patterns

Post by cvansice »

Complaining here really doesn't do much so...
This is an email I am about to send to Obey. I think it expresses the sentiment that many Obey fans feel. Please post if you disagree but more importantly email this to Obey yourself. A squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Dear Shepard Fairey,

I’ll keep this short and to the point. I am a fan of your artwork and appreciate your effort to keep your art limited and affordable. I am writing to you to ask for an exception. Your pattern prints have proven very especially difficult to acquire. These prints complement other prints in my collection. I would love to have multiple patterns to create symmetry with those other prints. Instead of smaller runs for the pattern prints I think you should create a larger run. The high prices on ebay prove that these are high demand prints that your fans really want. You have already done many low run pattern prints. How about throwing those of us that really want to frame these a bone? How about an open edition?

A Fairey Fan

Not sure if they really check this but here is where I am sending it.
http://obeygiant.com/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbage I may even write a handwritten letter.
Obey Giant Art
PO BOX 26897
LA, CA 90026
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I would guess that all of these are already printed, numbered and signed, and have been for awhile.

The good thing is that you'll only have to wait another week or so for something else you might like.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I personally like to collect Limited edition prints, i dont like large editions really. I have a couple but i like owning an image that has limited availability, if i score it then great, if i dont there will be others.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

slidingaround wrote:I personally like to collect Limited edition prints, i dont like large editions really. I have a couple but i like owning an image that has limited availability, if i score it then great, if i dont there will be others.
+Image
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
cvansice
Swindler

Re:

Post by cvansice »

slidingaround wrote:I personally like to collect Limited edition prints, i dont like large editions really. I have a couple but i like owning an image that has limited availability, if i score it then great, if i dont there will be others.

There are plenty of LE patterns to collect. I'd just like one to be less limited. How about a run of 450 of each color? CAll me crazy but I'd like to have some to frame. Alone these aren't all that special but owning and framing several with a matching print look great. Others have made the same comments in the Japanese Pattern 2 anticipation thread so I'm not alone in this.

For the record I was referring to a future pattern release and not this one.
rumspring
Giant

Re: My letter/email to Fairey re: patterns

Post by rumspring »

I consider Peace Bomber a pattern print. There is an open edition offset of that available right now.
cvansice
Swindler

Post by cvansice »

rumspring wrote:I consider Peace Bomber a pattern print. There is an open edition offset of that available right now.
I'm referring to what Obey calls pattern prints. Not made up definitions. :D
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

You could always run off a few copies at Kinkos...which would probably suit your display needs just fine.
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

cvansice wrote:
rumspring wrote:I consider Peace Bomber a pattern print. There is an open edition offset of that available right now.
I'm referring to what Obey calls pattern prints. Not made up definitions. :D
Yeah, that's just me trying to be the "glass is half full" kinda guy. It certainly is nice to have some of Shepard Fairey's work much more accessible like the Peace Bomber offset, but I likewise understand the fun of having a rare and coveted print from an edition of only 75.
cvansice
Swindler

Post by cvansice »

I don't mind really low runs but I question the logic of choosing these to do them. These aren't all that great alone but when several are put together with a complementing print they look killer. Rumspring as the resident "mockup guy" I know you know what I'm sayin'. Please no more pattern mockups. They may just put me over the edge and resort to ebay. :D

Even though they may not want to resort to sending an email I know others feel the same as shown in the anticipation thread:
toobs wrote:it would be nice to see these patterns on the offset unlimited side, it would be nice decor.
pogue79 wrote: Yeah, I wish he would make some wallpaper already....or sell some pasters in bulk.
kingofprussia wrote:i really dig the patterns b/c he uses them in his collages and such. they can complement prints nicely as well. i don't think they work all that well individually but if you put a couple of the color variations together or you frame a whole set like the japanese pattern 1 set then they work really well.
ll_coolray wrote:too broke for this one.. I agree though that shep should consider offering his patterns as pasters/wallpaper or something because they are beautiful
Once the bitchin' starts tomorrow feel free to link to this page.