apology for harsh language...

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
jbudich
Posse

apology for harsh language...

Post by jbudich »

In light of the growing resentment expressed against me in this forum, I wish to formally apologize for my overly harsh words towards this weeks print. I regret using such language in this forum, and would like everyone to know that I am, and will remain, a HUGE & LOYAL fan of Shep's work.

The works that I have produced, heavily influenced by Shep's own work, has always been only out of admiration and support for his cause.

thank you all. This has always been an incredibly enthusiastic and lively forum, and I hope it remains that way.

-jbudich
http://www.joshuabudich.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/SWCollection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

josh, no need for an apology... everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and hey, it looks like you stirred up a pretty decent discussion on appropriation (biting vs borrowing).
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
online reef tank profiles and marine aquarium blogs
80's BMX bikes
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

bboygraphix wrote:josh, no need for an apology... everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and hey, it looks like you stirred up a pretty decent discussion on appropriation (biting vs borrowing).

THATS MY WORD...!!!
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
brothernigel
Punk

Re: apology for harsh language...

Post by brothernigel »

jbudich wrote:In light of the growing resentment expressed against me in this forum, I wish to formally apologize for my overly harsh words towards this weeks print. I regret using such language in this forum, and would like everyone to know that I am, and will remain, a HUGE & LOYAL fan of Shep's work.

The works that I have produced, heavily influenced by Shep's own work, has always been only out of admiration and support for his cause.

thank you all. This has always been an incredibly enthusiastic and lively forum, and I hope it remains that way.

-jbudich

that's so raven.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

Dude you don't need to apologize, just like Jason doesn't need to apologize to you. It's an opinion.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

yeah, no need for apology as it's ok to express your opinion ... you just have to be prepared for any backlash if you're going to slam something like that.
AnotherDesigner
Swindler

Post by AnotherDesigner »

I still dig your "nightmare girl"
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

scud80 wrote:yeah, no need for apology as it's ok to express your opinion ... you just have to be prepared for any backlash if you're going to slam something like that.

Right on. Words mean things and clinging to a right of free speech while shirking the responsibility for what you actually say is chickenshit.

Speak out, but step up.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

Josh...

BITE ME! just don't BORROW ME!.

No problems on this end....

in ancient Rome there was a poem
about a dog who found two bones
he picked at one
he licked the other
he went in circles
he dropped dead

freedom of choice
is what you got
freedom of choice!
catch23
Propaganda Engineer

Post by catch23 »

Have you apologized to Jesse Jackson and gone to rehab yet? Kidding!
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

respect
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

scud80 wrote:yeah, no need for apology as it's ok to express your opinion ... you just have to be prepared for any backlash if you're going to slam something like that.

that's the problem. people here shouldn't have to fear giving their honest opinions and being attacked for it. i'm sure shepard has enough yes men around him that he doesn't need to be protected from the honest criticism here.

art doesn't have just one view point.
mrxscarface28
Giant

Post by mrxscarface28 »

No problem man. Still looking out for a Bruce image! hahaha
"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth."

- John F. Kennedy
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

fribhey wrote:that's the problem. people here shouldn't have to fear giving their honest opinions and being attacked for it.

nobody said that anybody should fear anything. saying that "this weeks print is f'in hideous" is different from saying that you dislike it a lot, and if you're afraid of what other people think of your opinion then shut the f up. we're not a bunch of 4th-graders here or anything ... if you're adult enough to state your opinions in public then you should be adult enough to take whatever feedback may come.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

this thread is f'ing hideous....pass
avoid disappointment and future regret
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

jbudich,

You used strong language to express your opinion of a piece of art. No one cares about that. Or, should I say, should care about that.

The problem here is that you expressed yourself in the personal thread of an employee of Shepard Fairey. Just what did you think the response was going to be?

Its over. Let's move on.

By the way. This print already makes my eyes do circles with a dinky online photo. Imagine what this is going to look like up close and personal.
henna
-

Post by henna »

submit wrote:this thread is f'ing hideous....pass

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

robotoil wrote:The problem here is that you expressed yourself in the personal thread of an employee of Shepard Fairey. Just what did you think the response was going to be?

no, he expressed himself on page 55 of the 56-page thread in "prints and the revolution" that was created to discuss tuesday's release.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

illyanadmc wrote:
robotoil wrote:The problem here is that you expressed yourself in the personal thread of an employee of Shepard Fairey. Just what did you think the response was going to be?

no, he expressed himself on page 55 of the 56-page thread in "prints and the revolution" that was created to discuss tuesday's release.

Oh, my bad, I thought I had seen the bunny picture in Jason's thread and assumed that the thread was moved here. You know what they say about assuming things.

Anyway, JB, don't sweat it. You are entitled to your opinions. Be they harsh or not. Having opinions is what art is all about. So what if this print didn't grab someone. That is no reason to attack someone personally.

I absolutely love the wide spectrum of work that Shepard puts out. Sometimes I think some of it is garbage other times I think it is brilliant.

Jason, as always thank you for your inside information. I value your opinions as a contributing member of this board. I even agree with your assessment of JB's art. However, why attack someone personally because they don't like a particular piece of art. I would not post a harsh comment like that about your bosses work inside your personal thread. However, step outside your thread and your comments are fair game just like the rest of us. Respect the fact that other people have opinions about things and don't attack them for expressing themselves.

'nuff said.
Johnster0228
Giant

Post by Johnster0228 »

scud80 wrote:
fribhey wrote:that's the problem. people here shouldn't have to fear giving their honest opinions and being attacked for it.

nobody said that anybody should fear anything. saying that "this weeks print is f'in hideous" is different from saying that you dislike it a lot, and if you're afraid of what other people think of your opinion then shut the f up. we're not a bunch of 4th-graders here or anything ... if you're adult enough to state your opinions in public then you should be adult enough to take whatever feedback may come.

I like that rationale. Speak your mind and be ready to back that sh*t up.
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Well, I suppose I should go ahead and respond now....

First of all, I am sorry that my retort to Josh's criticism was uncharacteristically personal, but it annoyed me off. I bite my tongue A LOT in regards to some posts I read on this forum; I don't comment or reply b/c I don't have anything constructive to say. For whatever reason, I allowed my temper to get the best of me yesterday.

Secondly, I don't EVER want to discourage anyone from posting their opinions about anything on this forum, positive or negative. I feel like this is part of the fun, sharing perspectives and engaging dialoge. In fact, I think that's part of the understood mission statement of thegiant.org. However, when the discussions descend into ruthless flaming and personal attacks, then these forums start to cast a black cloud upon itself and I don't want that to happen. So, in that regards, seeing my comment catalyze debate that quickly transformed into several ugly exchanges made me feel pretty guilty.

I am just as much a fan, if not more, of Shepard's creative activites as anyone else here. If I weren't I wouldn't have left my academic position of 10 years, moved across the country, and dedicate nearly every waking hour to expanding it. I depend, partly, on his tenacity and dedication to make a living. If it weren't for many of you here, for all of your support and enthusiasm for Obey, I might be unemployed- so that always helps to put a little perspective on it for me.

Lastly, Josh, no need to apologize to anyone here. I think that the fact that you did shows a lot of maturity, probably even more maturity than I have. But then again, I spend much of my time trying to remain as immature as possible. ;)
Johnster0228
Giant

Post by Johnster0228 »

Jason Filipow wrote:Well, I suppose I should go ahead and respond now....

First of all, I am sorry that my retort to Josh's criticism was uncharacteristically personal, but it annoyed me off. I bite my tongue A LOT in regards to some posts I read on this forum; I don't comment or reply b/c I don't have anything constructive to say. For whatever reason, I allowed my temper to get the best of me yesterday.

Secondly, I don't EVER want to discourage anyone from posting their opinions about anything on this forum, positive or negative. I feel like this is part of the fun, sharing perspectives and engaging dialoge. In fact, I think that's part of the understood mission statement of thegiant.org. However, when the discussions descend into ruthless flaming and personal attacks, then these forums start to cast a black cloud upon itself and I don't want that to happen. So, in that regards, seeing my comment catalyze debate that quickly transformed into several ugly exchanges made me feel pretty guilty.

I am just as much a fan, if not more, of Shepard's creative activites as anyone else here. If I weren't I wouldn't have left my academic position of 10 years, moved across the country, and dedicate nearly every waking hour to expanding it. I depend, partly, on his tenacity and dedication to make a living. If it weren't for many of you here, for all of your support and enthusiasm for Obey, I might be unemployed- so that always helps to put a little perspective on it for me.

Lastly, Josh, no need to apologize to anyone here. I think that the fact that you did shows a lot of maturity, probably even more maturity than I have. But then again, I spend much of my time trying to remain as immature as possible. ;)

Well said. Spoken like a true gent!
jbudich
Posse

Post by jbudich »

Jason, first off, thanks for the response. I, of all people, understand having a bad day, and I think that perhaps both our "having a bad guy" got the best of us yesterday.

Secondly, in attempt to always find the lesson in all life's events, I have learned several invaluable things for which I am grateful to Jason and this entire forum.

1) I'm going to work doubly hard at creating my own style. I owe it to myself.
2) I'm going to watch my language more closely within this forum in terms of critique. Being that I am a HUGE fan of Shep's work and a LOYAL believer in his mission, I think I owe more constructive criticism than a simple 2-word jab.
3) That the value of honesty is paramount to this forum. If it wasn't, the entire point would be lost.

So, again, I'm grateful for everyone's support, criticism. Thanks!
http://www.joshuabudich.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/SWCollection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmy4wmu
Posse

Post by jimmy4wmu »

"I spend much of my time trying to remain as immature as possible. Wink"

Dont we all!!!